Thursday, November 12, 2009

Basil- One of My Favorite Herbs

I'm not sure if any of you have ever encountered the same problem as me. I go to the store, buy a pack of fresh basil, use a stem or two for a meal, and put the rest in the fridge, thinking that it will keep. Wrong! The basil starts turning black within 24 hours. How annoying and wasteful is that?

So, I went on the trusty internet and looked up how to store basil. The solution was so simple.

Put it in water!

I tested this out last week after going to Trader Joe's to get a new pack of basil. Came home, took the basil out, put it in a glass of water and voila! The basil stayed fresh.

In fact, the basil actually flourished and grew roots. I now have a basil plant on my kitchen countertop and I didn't have to grow it from scratch. How awesome is that? :D

Just wanted to share this tidbit.

3 comments:

Buddha said...

Mmmmm... love basil

Daniel S. said...

Great tip! I use basil quite often--especially with my pizzas--so this is good to know.

Follow Me Foodie said...

Wow! Thanks for the tip! Basil isn't that cheap so learning how to store them and keep them for the longest possible time is great.