Monday, March 23, 2009

Mandarin Noodle Deli

I made the trek out here yesterday so I could indulge in some good ol' Taiwanese comfort food. My first impression upon walking in was "wtf? why isn't anyone greeting us, but yet they greet the other party who arrived afer us?"

Before I got annoyed, the lady told us to sit down anywhere. Whew. Yes, I know it's an Asian place and service sucks, but come on now.

Since my friend has never had Taiwanese before, I did all the ordering for us. I even managed to bust out some Mandarin. I noticed that once I spoke to her in Mandarin, the hostess/waitress was much nicer.

This is what we ordered:

Marinated seaweed- thin slices of seaweed marinated with garlic and cucumber. I loved it! Perfectly seasoned and the garlic gave it a nice kick.



Beef Pancake- this is basically a twist on the green onion pancake, stuffed with beef, cilantro and green onion. Very hearty dish. I liked it, but it wasn't da bomb.



Stir fried vermicelli noodles with pork- Otherwise known as mi-fun. My favorite dish of it all because my Mom always makes it for me when I go home. The flavors were all nicely balanced, but I would forgo the pork. They should have a ground beef option.



Beef noodle soup with homemade noodles- Damn! This dish was good! We all dug in and I loved the broth, noodles and even the beef! My kid loved it too and she's damn picky when it comes to eatin. I loved the veggies inside, not sure if it was spinach or hollow heart veggies.



Green onion pancake- another bomb dish. Ain't nothing wrong with some fried cake with some scallions. Yum.



Steamed dumplings with pork & shrimp- MEH.. this one was not a winner. The meat was too chewy and just tasted meh.



I'd come back for sure though. Great find thanks to Yelp! All this food was $40 and we had tons of leftovers! Cash only.

Mandarin Noodle Deli
9537 Las Tunas Drive
Temple City, CA 91780

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

uhhh that's my hood. TEXT ME NEXT TIME. duh!

(wait. which one's Mandarin Noodle Deli again? I know I've been). try Kingburg next time you're on Las Tunas?

Pandalicious said...

blah!!! i have no idea what kingburg is.