Thursday, February 5, 2009

Yang Chow




My friend R had been raving about this place for months, telling me how I must try their famous Slippery Shrimp dish. 

Finally, he got me to go here for lunch. I guess I had to make an exception since he always comes to my hood for meals. 

So, on a Saturday afternoon, my kid and I make the long trek to the eastside. One hour later, we arrive at his place and I make R drive since I'm just not in the mood to be driving in Chinatown. 

We head over and find parking in this secret lot. $3.

Yang Chow is freakin packed to the gills! The hostess said it would be a 5 min wait for the 3 of us. 15 minutes later, she calls our party. Geez.. I'm totally beyond the point of starvation as is my daughter. 

Get seated and we proceed to order half the menu. My eyes are always bigger than my stomach.

* Vegetable Moo Shu- Do not wrap my moo shu! They took out all the fun, I wanna wrap my own food. And he made it all big and shiet. I hate big moo shu. 

* Stir fried green beans with minced pork- Good dish, right amount of spice and greasy as hell. 

* Scallops with veggies- this one was my fave since I love scallops!! Came with broccoli and water chestnuts. My kid ate all the water chestnuts and hated the scallops. Good thing cuz I hate water chestnuts.

* Slippery Shrimp- Ahh, the famous dish.. Lightly fried with bits of garlic. It was tasty, but I'm not a fan of fried foods, so I let them eat most of it.

* Shanghai style noodles- Blame this on my kid. She saw this dish at the next table and demanded we order it. I obliged, being the nice Mommy that I am. It was pretty bland and very greasy.. just overall Bleh. We had a few bites and were over it.

Overall, this place is okay. Service is mediocre, but that's normal for Asian places. Water tastes like ass, so try to order a soda instead. I noticed that most of the clientele was anything but Asian. I think the 3 of us were the only Asians there.

Yang Chow
819 N. Broadway 
Los Angeles, CA 90012


No comments: