Monday, February 6, 2012

Fat Spoon

I've heard rave reviews about this place, especially about their signature uni and mushroom pasta and the curry pan.

My friend and I came here for lunch the other day. I read it was close to Daikokuya so when I saw the long line, I knew I had arrived.

We ordered the curry pan to share. It was pretty big. I didn't really care for it too much and my DC agreed. It reminded me of a hot pocket. My friend said it wasn't hot enough, temperature wise. I have to agree, the curry pan came out lukewarm. And it took a while to come out too.

curry pan
I had the tarako pasta. It was delicious! The roe, cream, scallions and dried seaweed all blended nicely together for a very original flavor. The big portions came in a huge bowl as well. I couldn't finish it all so I took it home. I highly recommend this dish.

takaro pasta
My friend had the seafood curry and it was just okay. The curries don't come with any spiciness so don't come here expecting that. The waitress provided us some garlic chili oil to help with spice, but it didn't really have any kick at all. I would forgo the curry here.


seafood curry

I had a side of garlic bread with my pasta which was an additional $2. I should have known it wasn't free when she asked me if I wanted the garlic bread with my pasta. duh.

I'd come back just for the tarako pasta, but only if I was already in DTLA.



3***


Fat Spoon
329 E 1st St
Los Angeles, CA 90012
(213) 621-7890